Is a certain man clothed in linen in Daniel 10 Jesus Michael or Gabriel?

4/25/2024

trinity

t f B! P L
The above is the likeness of Jesus Christ appearing in Revelation 1:13. Something or someone with the above appearance appears in Daniel 7:13, 8:15, 9:21, and especially in chapter 10. In this article we will examine what kind of person Michael and Gabriel are from an original language perspective. Especially in chapter 10, we can definitely read from the original language that the two angels are conversing with Daniel.

Original language of Daniel 7:13, 8:15, Daniel 10

Scripture passages featuring Michael and Gabriel

Daniel 7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man(bar of 'ēneš) came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.

8:15  And it came to pass, when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, and sought for the meaning, then, behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man(mar'ê of geḇer). 16And I heard a man's voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision. 17So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision. 18Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright.

10:5  then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz: 6his body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.(Michael with the same look as Jesus in Rev. 1:13-15)  7And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves. 8Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength. 9Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground. 10And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands. 11And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling. 12Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words. 13But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia. 14Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days. 15And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb. 16And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men(dᵊmûṯa of bēn of āḏām) touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength. 17For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me. 18Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man(mar'ê of āḏām), and he strengthened me, 19and said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me. 20Then said he, Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee? and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come. 21But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.

Original language contrast and explanation

When we examine the original language of this passage of Scripture, especially in Daniel 10, we find two powerful angels in it. First, in Daniel 8:15, Gabriel is "the appearance of a man" if we translate the original correctly. As the New World Translation says, "someone in appearance like an able-bodied man," the original word גֶּבֶר(geḇer) includes the meaning of strong. However, in over 90% of the scriptures, גֶּבֶר is used as the original word simply meaning "man". So in English, in both Daniel 8:15 and 10:18, Gabriel is uniformly described as "one who has the appearance of a man."

The original word "מַרְאֶה(mar'ê)" means appearance. It is used in all of Gabriel's appearances in chapters 8:15 and 10:18, so it is more accurately translated as "one who is in the appearance of a man. The contrast is impressive in Scripture that "he who is like unto the sons of men" is only "like," or in Hebrew, "דְּמוּת(dᵊmûṯ)," a supernatural being, but Gabriel is just in the form of a man.

So, back to Daniel 10. First of all, from the very beginning, someone else appears with the exact same body and appearance as Jesus himself, as depicted in Revelation 1:13, and overwhelms Daniel, knocking him out. Then, the hand of someone else rouses and empowers Daniel, which is Gabriel. Just as Jesus changed his appearance so freely after his resurrection as a spirit entity that the disciples did not recognize him as Jesus, Gabriel's appearance may have been different from that of 8:15 because he had been wrestling with the Lord of Persia for 21 days. Furthermore, Daniel, overwhelmed and exhausted by the two men's supernatural majestic glory, may not have fully recognized Gabriel's face, which he had seen face-to-face in chapters 8 and 9. Nevertheless, Daniel describes Gabriel as a "a man," the equivalent of "Adam," which implies masculinity, or Geber, which means strength.

Daniel9:21  yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. 22And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding. 23At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.

In Daniel 10:10~12 and 19, there is also someone who calls out, "Fear not, greatly to be desired," and in 9:23 above, Gabriel was making that statement. In Luke 1:13 and 30, too, he spoke "fear not" because he "frightened" Zechariah, who would be the father of John the Baptist, and he also tells Mary to "fear not". Gabriel, who is described as "Adam" and "Geber," both of which mean "manly," has the appearance of a supernaturally strong and robust man that would frighten ordinary people, so it is likely that he told Daniel not to be afraid of Michael and himself. His usual first words are "Fear not, greatly beloved". Therefore, the phrases " Fear not, greatly beloved" from chapter 10:10-18 to chapter 12:4, must be Gabriel's words and actions. 

Gabriel then introduces himself to Daniel by saying, "Behold, this is Michael, the one who saved me, who is the Lord." He could have said, "Behold," because Michael, who has the appearance of Jesus in Revelation 1:13, is right in front of Daniel. Some biblical texts omit the word "behold," but the original text has the Hebrew word "הִנֵּה(hinnê)," which means "behold" or "here I am." It seems that "Behold" is used because there is a visible object in front of them, and that Michael, who has the appearance of Jesus, the most powerful Lord who can defeat Satan who is the Monarch of Persia.

Incidentally, Michael was in battle mode against the prince of Persia and had a strong appearance, but after Daniel fainted, he became a little milder and Daniel could look up to him, although he appeared more supernatural in the form of "one like the similitude of the sons of men" than Gabriel, the strong "the appearance of a man". Seems like Michael has lowered his power and become more natural so that Daniel can look up to him.

And Daniel 12:7 describes a man in linen, that is, Jesus Michael, standing on the water and two unnamed angels at either end of the riverbank. In Revelation 12:7, the two unnamed angels in verses 8:13 and 12:5 seem to be "Michael's messengers" who were working with Gabriel, since Revelation 12:7 describes "Michael and his messengers. (Even in Genesis 18, the unnamed angel works in a three-man team.) As Gabriel said in chapter 10:20 that he would return to battle with the Persian sovereign, he seems to have left the place after he told Daniel his interpretation of the prophecy by verse 4 of chapter 12. So after verse 5, there is only Michael and his two messengers with him.

Bible Translation Issues

A close examination of the original language reveals that the object described as "one in the likeness of the Ben of Adam," the Son of Man, is Michael, and the masculine "one in the appearance of Adam" is Gabriel. and Gabriel is translated as "he who is in the form of a man. And in Daniel 10, Michael is specifically distinguished as "one who is like the sons of men," and Gabriel as "one who is in the form of a man of the earth, in the appearance of a man.

Incidentally, as a trivia note, the New World Translation seems to translate Daniel 10:14 incorrectly. It says, "I remained there with the kings of Persia.", which means that Michael's assistance does not have any meaning. If you look up the original language, in the relevant part of chapter 10:13, the Hebrew becomes וַאֲנִי נוֹתַרְתִּי שָׁם אֵצֶל in right to left order. Sequentially from right to left (right to right even when broken), the Hebrew word "'ănî" is also used as "~ for", "yāṯar" as "to prevail", "šām" as "there", and "'ēṣel" as "against".

The KJV has the same mistranslation as the New World Translation, but the NKJV corrects the meaning of "ănî" as "and" to "for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia." Alternatively, it could be translated "so that I was able to gain the advantage there against the Persian princes." These two translations are sentence constructions that are consistent with the overall context.

The New Common Translation, Living Bible, and other translations intentionally refrain from rendering Michael as the " sons of men," the same title as Jesus Christ, and instead translate him as "one like a man." The Trinity believers do not want to translate Michael as "Son of Man.

Before Daniel were Michael, "one who is in the likeness of the sons of men," and Gabriel, a strong and robust "man in the form of a masculine being," who went into a strong battle mode and knocked Daniel unconscious. So they broke through the Prince of Persia and came before Daniel.

Gabriel appears to have introduced Michael the Jesus to Daniel before his face in a glory so glorious that the apostle John fainted in Revelation 1:13, which reads, "Behold, this is the sovereign of Israel (Christians), and he alone is the one who will help me."

About Me

My name is JP. Please use this as a reference for yourselves. As an ex-Jehovah's Witness, I will post the results of my thorough research from an original language perspective.

Latest comments

Blog Archive

連絡フォーム

Name

Email *

Message *

QooQ